The most important component of the half square triangle is the contrast between light and dark.
Materials List and Cutting Instructions
You will need
- Two 8½" squares of the following dark colors: Red, Blue, Green, Purple, Orange and Yellow. These fabrics can be country colors, brights, pastels or 30’s prints trading the red for pink. Any light background will work. Your dark fabric and backgrounds can be scrappy or cut from the same fabric. We will play with the awesome possibilities for this versatile block.
- Cut 12 light 8½" square background blocks.
- A small design board or ½ yard of batting will be helpful.
Extra Supplies if using the optional pattern:
Out of the light background fabric cut:
- Cut 4 squares 3½" X 3½"
- Cut 6 Rectangles 6½" X 3½"
- Cut 8 Rectangles 9½" X 3½"
- Cut 2 Rectangles 12½" X 3½"
For ideas be on the lookout for quilts using half square triangle blocks. An optional pattern using your blocks will be available for $2.00. We will not be making the quilt in the picture.